Home
title

LVXOR Café is a place where the history of Split and of the entire world expresses itself in an unusual and picturesque way. It was named after the Egyptian city of Luxor, where the sphinxes, the mythical creatures, originate from. They were brought by the Emperor Diocletian in 305 A.D. to his recently built gigantic Palace situated at the coast of the Adriatic Sea which represents the pearl of the antique architecture with obvious traces of Ancient Egypt. The best preserved sphinx, and there were about thirty in the Palace, originates from the period of Pharaoh Tuthmosis, and was constructed 36 centuries ago. Up to this day, it has been the guardian of the imperial square – Peristil, guarding the Diocletian’s Mausoleum, - the Cathedral of St. Dujam, Lvxor Café and watching over the bliss of the city of Split

In the middle of the café, there is a marking on the floor denoting the position of the circular antique temple dedicated to the Roman goddess of love Venus. Ornamented Roman Gothic column is the remnant of the City Lodge, free city government – the commune of Split, located at Peristil Square, the central city square of that time. Palace then became home to Grisogono family, one of the oldest and most prominent Dalmatian aristocratic families. It was subsequently bought by the aristocratic Cipiko (Cipci) family. One of the most favourite Gothic and Early Renaissance sculptors Juraj Dalmatinac (George of Dalmatia) also contributed to the further construction and decoration of the Palace. In the 15th century a renowned artist Nikola Firentinac (Nicholas the Florentine) did some work on the Palace as well, and in the 18th century the lower part of the façade was “dressed” in Baroque. All in all, LVXOR preserves all layers of the city, from the Diocletian’s Palace, through 1941 when Josip Kodl, the architect from Prague, designed the interior of the café, until the most recent decoration of the café painted by the contemporary artist from Split, Petar Grimani, and it is even equipped with the free wireless internet access.

The Palace located at the imperial square served as a place of rest and relaxation to many famous guests, such as the Italian writer Ugo Foscolo (1778 – 1827), and the Austrian Emperor Francis I and his wife Karolina during their stay in Dalmatia in 1818. Today, this imperial pleasure belongs to you as well, with carefully selected beverages, great selection of daily press and weekly magazines, restaurant, professional staff, live music, art exhibitions. Feel like an empress and emperor at the imperial Peristil Square in the LVXOR Café/Restaurant. That is our biggest wish! Damir Šarac, journalist

Damir ŠARAC, journalist